9.27.2013

Muffin Tin Mini Pies

For my small group this year, we are doing a "theme night" for food every week. This week's theme was Fall Food. I immediately thought something with apple, which progressed to apple pie, which progressed to cherry and apple pie, which progressed to mini pies (my brain is haywire right now, if you can't tell). 


So I did a quick Google search for the easiest way to make a mini pie and found this recipe. This was a winner in my book because I didn't have to make the pie crust! 

Here's what I did. (Sorry in advance for the HORRIBLE quality of pictures. My kitchen has awful lighting and I was in a big hurry to get them done before small group!) 

Buy some refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts (I found these near the refrigerated biscuits). If you want to make a full muffin tin, buy 2 packages. I didn't realize I would need 2 until it was too late. 



Roll out the pie crust.


Use a circular bowl or cookie cutter (about 4" diameter) to cut the crust.


Press it into your sprayed muffin tin so a little bit sticks up over the edge.


Add whatever kind of pie filling you want. 


Mine took about 2 big spoonfuls each. And I have leftover filling waiting for me to make more.


Roll out your extra crust and use a pizza cutter to make the lattice top. Whisk an egg and baste it over the tops of the lattice. This helps give it the nice golden brown color after it's baked.

Since I didn't have enough crust, I made a crumble topping for the apple to turn it into a Dutch apple mini pie. Which was actually amazing.


Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.


Let them cool in the pan for about 15 minutes then use a knife to remove them. Then quickly take a picture on a paper plate before it gets consumed.



INGREDIENTS: 
Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust
Pie filling
1 egg

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin. Roll out the pie crust. Use a circular bowl or cookie cutter (about 4" diameter) to cut the crust. Press it into your sprayed muffin tin so a little bit sticks up over the edge. Fill almost to the top with your pie filling. Roll out your extra crust and use a pizza cutter to make the lattice top. Whisk an egg and baste it over the tops of the lattice. Or make a crumble topping. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Let them cool in the pan for 15 minutes before using a knife to remove them. 

Photobucket

Don't forget to check out my Linky Party page to see where I'm linking up. And you can follow me on Pinterest and Twitter to get updates as soon as I post something new!
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. They are a great idea!!! My kids love anything put into a muffin tin, so I will try this with them this weekend! Thanks for the idea, Julia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful. I love mini food =o)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I read all of the comments and try to reply to everyone. I love getting to know my readers! Have a blessed day.